Sunday, June 24, 2007

Upgrading Open Office 2.0.2 to 2.2.1

Ubuntu Dapper Drake comes with Open Office 2.0.2

Lately I experienced that my OO installation had started crashing when I tried to open some Microsoft powerpoint files. A few google searches revealed that some others also faced similar problem. But since the latest Open Office 2.2.1 is currently not supported by the Dapper repository, I was struggling with this issue.

I read this post and decided to try upgrading to 2.2.1 and the good news is that it worked......

Here is what I did (following the post indicated above)

  1. Using Synaptic Manager, I uninstalled all Open Office 2.0.2 programs

  2. Downloaded the latest deb package for Open Office using the following wet command

    wget http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/misc/openoffice/localized/
    finnish/stable/2.2.1/latest/OOo_2.2.1_LinuxX86_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz
  3. Unpacked the resulting file using the archive package manager
  4. cd into the resulting DEBS directory
  5. Installed all the deb file using the command
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
  6. Integrated the new OO installation in the menu by
    cd DEBS/desktop-integration
    sudo dpkg -i openoffice.org-debian-menus_2.2-9161_all.deb
I will now test the new upgraded version for the crashes that I was facing earlier.

Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Aseem, did it finally work and not crash? You must post the results of your test as well.

Cheers...Kishore
--

Aseem Sood said...

Kishore, so far it has not crashed even once. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Will post an update after a week's testing.
Cheers,
~a