Thursday, November 01, 2007

Can Ubuntu damage my hard drive.... NO WAY

Yesterday I read a story on Slashdot which claimed that the power management features of Ubuntu kill the laptop's hard drive faster if you run it on battery. I got worried and started searching for more info on the same.

Today, I read another story on Digg which clarified this issue and also lead me to this post. It clearly explains that :
  1. this is not an ubuntu feature/ issue by default
  2. yes, Ubuntu offers a setting which, if enabled,could lead to decreasing your hard disk's life span. This setting is however desabled by default.
  3. usually, Ubuntu uses the same power management settings that are set in the BIOS. Thus one needs to check the BIOS settings first and then worry about Ubuntu settings.
Thanks to Matthew Garrett for the clear description.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: