Sunday, April 09, 2006

#HDD setup#
IBM PREDESKTOP AREA - my first challenge
My T41p shipped with preinstalled WIN XP Professional. Unlike earlier times, I did not get any recovery CDs with the system. Thus, I was in a fix - how do I repartition my hard disk and make space for installing a Linux distro without losing my licensed Win XP installation?

Repartitioning would mean that I lose the predesktop area where all the installation files are stored....

I started with a google search to see if others also faced this problem.... YES they did and I also came across a number of solutions. But every solution suggested that I create a set of recovery discs before doing anything. And if creation is not possible then connect with IBM to send me a set.

I looked up IBM website and learnt that recovery discs can be created. some other websites....like the one below also suggested the same. I tried all options but could not create the discs...
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/01/18/ibm-lenovo-thinkpad-recovery-cd/
006/01/18/ibm-lenovo-thinkpad-recovery-cd/

I called up IBM and they requested me to download the latest Rescue and Recovery program (around 475 MB) from their website. I did that.... but still the option for creating recovery discs was not available. They also could not help me create the discs.

Later I learnt that T41p does not carry the image that allows creation of recovery discs. Other T series models however offer this option.

All this had not solved my problem..... but atleast I knew the limitations by now.....

No comments: