Sunday, July 23, 2006

#e-mail#
Which email client is best for me?

After all this..... my windows XP Professional was live and kicking....

Before I did any more testing.... I wanted to get my e-mail up and running....so next I had to decide - Which e-mail client do I use? '

Popular choices available were :
1. Microsoft Outlook
2. Microsoft Otlook Express
3. Thunderbird
4. Eudora

I had used both outlook and Eduora in the past.

This would have been a no-brainer under normal circumstances, specially when my Microsoft office Profesional license already covered the license for Microsoft Outlook. So I have already paid for one of the most popular e-mail clients .

But my situation was different. I was very keen to start using Linux on my laptop as well. And I knew that unless my business email is not available on Linux, I will not be able to even try it. Which meant that e-mails that I pop fom my server, onto the laptop, should be available on windows as well as Linux.

A tough requirement......... may be not....

Interestingly, I learnt from a friend that Thunderbird installation from Windows side as well as Linux side can access the same email data if the data is kept on a FAT partition. And so I selected Thunderbird over Microsoft Outlook.

No comments: