Sunday, July 23, 2006

#OS#

I got hold of the latest Fedora distro FC5 from an expert friend.

I was skeptical whether FC5 will smoothly install on a laptop without messing my Windows XP partition.

I popped the DVD and started the installation. It took a little over an hour for me but I was able to setup FC5 smoothly.

Most interesting aspect of this whole process was the ease with which FC5 detected all my laptop hardware very well. Considering the fact that my machine did not have the standard graphics card, this was really commendable.

Infact, I had lot of problems in installing Windows XP professional from the original Retail version on my earlier IBM R50E laptop. It messed up with the drivers for LAN, sound, graphics. I then had to visit the IBM (Lenovo) website to pick up the drivers.

No comments: