Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Accessing my windows partition from FC6

I use Thunderbird as the default mail client. I do this because it allows me to access the same data i.e. emails, from both windows as well as linux. To get this to work, Linux should allow me to read and write onto the windows partition where the email data files are kept. This partition is a fat32 partition.

In order to get access to the windows fat32 partition, I did the following as root :
1. Create a directory where you would like to mount the fat32 partition
2. Open the file /var/fstab
3. Add the following at the end of the file
/dev/hda2 /wind vfat umask=000 0 0
Inmy case, hda2 is my fat32 partition and /wind is the directory that I created for mounting the fat32 partition.
4. Reboot (I am sure there may be other ways as well, but this is the easiest that I know.....will learn those soon ;) )

Now I was able to access the fat32 partition and had both read as well write access to it.

No comments: