Thursday, May 22, 2008

Healthy (Unknown) Partition issue solved

After re-installing Windows XP from Pre-desktop area, one of my FAT 32 partitions was not visible to Windows. Disk Management utility was reporting this partition as "Healthy (unknown) Partition - FAT 32"
... I found this funny

Anyway, here is how the problem was solved (with help from a geek friend)
PLEASE NOTE : Take backup of your data before you try these steps.
  1. I booted into Ubuntu. Ubuntu had not problem in identifying and accessing the same FAT 32 partition
  2. As root, I started FDISK using the following command
    fdisk /dev/sda
    entered p to print partition table
    This displayed the following:
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 2042 15437488+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 2043 5418 25521615 c Hidden W95 FAT32
  3. In the above I noticed that the partition type was set as Hidden W95 FAT32 instead of W95 FAT32 (LBA). So I changed the same with following steps
    t (to change a partition's system id)
    Enter the partition number. in my case its 2
    Partition number (1-7): 2
    Enter the Hex code for the partition type W95 FAT32 (LBA) i.e. c
    Hex code (type L to list codes): c
  4. Commited the above changes by entering w

The above solved my problem. Next time when I booted into Windows, I could see and access the FAT32 partition.

No comments: