Saturday, April 30, 2011

My Blackbeauty is getting NATTYer and giving me a hard time

As soon as I heard that Natty Narwhal, Ubuntu's latest distro was to be launched on April 28th, 2011, I was keenly waiting for the same. I jokingly asked an expert (@shekharg) if he could guess why I was waiting for April 28th. I thought it would be a piece of cake for him but he could not guess it. I was not sad but happier because he also added that he likes to work with OSs/ tools/ gadgets that have bugs. He is not interested in Linux anymore because everything works. I wonder what OS is he working with these days ;)

But my journey from 10.10 to 11.04 was not as smooth as I had expected (or experienced with past upgrades).

  1. I first tried upgrading via the 'update manager'. It took over 3 hours but failed with some error message.
  2. Then I started searching for an 'alternate CD image'. In past, alternate CD is what I used for upgrading via CD media. Surprisingly I could not find the latest release (I am sure it must be there somewhere.... but the point is that I could  not find it)
  3. With no other option I used the standard desktop CD image (for 64 bit machines) for installation.
  4. Thanks to past expert advice from (@kbhargava) I have always kept the /home directory on a separate partition. So, it was easy for me to do a fresh install without losing my data (or even fear of loosing my data)
  5. Unity desktop environment is a big difference in 11.04. As a result, my old user profile was not working smoothly enough. In past, every upgrade was so smooth that I was back to a fully functional machine with all settings/ preferences preserved within 2 hours.
  6. I finally had to create a new user profile and shift the data manually. This meant that I would not be able to preserve settings/ preferences/ passwords etc.
Overall, the upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 (for me) has not been as smooth as past upgrades. I am also not sure if unity desktop environment is far better but it is certainly fresh. I did notice one mac-like feature (Menu for every app window is on the top bar as on macs). But I am happy using this latest version of Ubuntu :))




1 comment:

Shekhar said...

First, a nice frame up to earn atleast one assured comment - by me! Knowing this, I will still fall a prey ;-)

>> I thought it would be a piece of cake for him but he could not guess it.

I admit that I could have never guessed it. Even your closest friend (@sharat_j) could not guess.

Why? Because for all of us you are an Apple fanboy. iPad 2 launch in India was the closet but then, how can an Apple fanboy mistake 29th as 28th? So we kept silent. ;-)

It has been ages you talked about the L word. Hence the imposed mission of guesswork was impossible.

Don't try to say No to the above when you yourself say in your post "I did notice one mac-like feature" !!! ;-)

>> He is not interested in Linux anymore because everything works.

Correction. You must not misquote me. I said Ubuntu works. And Ubuntu is not Linux. As we know, it is a distro of Linux.

I prefer Fedora which is again not Linux, but merely a Linux distro. Since Fedora includes lots of unpolished, half baked, pure open source stuff, there is a challenge in making it to work.

Fedora serves as an alpha to polished distros like Ubuntu ;-)

>> I wonder what OS is he working with these days ;)

Windows 7. But the reasons are different. So do not misquote ;-)

>> Unity desktop environment is a big difference in 11.04. As a result, my old user profile was not working smoothly enough.

Here is where you could have quoted me for our conversation at around 1300 hrs on 30th April. I shared with you that upgrading home partition for Linux desktops may not work all the time because of settings in numerous .xyz files and directories which may not be upward compatible. I used to have a nightmare with Evolution upgrades.

I take most upgrades as an opportunity to clear up the existing mess. Hence I backup>fresh install>copy/import the old data.

> But I am happy using this latest version of Ubuntu :))

a pleasant note :-)